This sonnet gives reason to believe that the speaker was in love with the reader. If it is true I do not know, but this poem sounds as if it is told to a lover. The speaker is telling the reader that he is more lovely then summer because summer will fade away, but his looks will not. Which actually contradicts the points of the other sonnets. Still, I believe this contradiction is because the speaker has fallen in love with the reader over time. I think now the speaker sees that beauty is not just looks, but about who one is on the inside. The speaker ends this sonnet by saying that as long as this sonnet lives so does the reader. I believe this line is symbolic to the fact that the speaker doesn't want to lose the reader. By writing sonnets to the reader I believe the speaker has fallen in love.
This is one of my favorite sonnets! Possibly number two on the list out of 2...or 3. I don't remember. But I think you're right about the speaker starting to fall in love, and also about the couplet. All these years and we're still discussing these things. What the heck.
ReplyDelete