Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sonnet #12

Honesty fills this sonnet of the way the speaker views beauty. Before the speaker was trying to please the reader through using sweet comparisons, but now the speaker is only using honesty. The speaker tells the reader that when Time (personified) takes over the reader's beauty will slowly fade away. Death will take over and change his beautiful hair to a shade of white. I love how honest this is because I felt the other sonnets were a bit to pleasant. Yet, the speaker offers the reader a way out from Time overcoming him. He says that if the reader has a child through which he could love on then he would defy Time. I really like that line about defying Time because I feel it's deeper then I'm reading in to it. I feel it has many ways of viewing it, which make it that much more powerful to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment