Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sonnet #55

I'm not a fan of this sonnet at all. I feel the speaker is trying to give too much credit to his writing. He's saying monuments and buildings built to praise the reader aren't nearly as good as this sonnet. The monuments and buildings will fade away, while this sonnet will always live on. Yes, buildings will crumble and fall, but writing isn't going to make it through decades either. The sonnet is ended by saying that this sonnet will bring the reader praise until God returns and ends the world as we know it. Personally I feel that the speaker is over exaggerating this sonnet a bit much. It's a sweet gesture to try and give the greatest gift, yet I feel that the speaker is putting down other gifts that were given to the reader to make his own appear to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment