Thursday, November 18, 2010
Sonnet #130
I truly don't know how to take this poem. It may be a sweet poem to the reader, but to the mistress it's rude. I'm unsure if the reader would be happy to hear that the speaker doesn't love his mistress, but then again the reader is now aware they aren't the only one in the speaker's life. Either way this poem is definately written to criticise the speaker's mistress. The speaker goes to say that the mistress's eyes aren't as pretty as the sun, plants have prettier colors then she has on her face, she's pale, she isn't a goddess in his eyes, and music is much more pleasing to listen to then her talking. This sonnet is full of insults,which makes me wonder what went wrong with the speaker's relationship with the mistress. I enjoyed reading this sonnet since it was humorous in an unexpecting way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment