The author's purpose of writing this essay was to argue why the farmers during the Dust Bowl moved from the east to the west. The author supports his arguments with saying that the water deprived land of the frontier forced the farmers to leave. Without water their crops couldn't grow, which lead to them being unable to earn a living. The author focuses a lot on the importance of water in the novel. It was due to the lack of water that forced the Okies from their land in the first place. They were forced from the land by the rich men who could afford the water to grow their crops. Water became a symbol of power and wealth due to it's scarcity. It was only expected that when fliers came to the frontier showing pictures of a California with beautiful crops growing that the Okies couldn't resist going. To them California represented the Garden of Eden with a plentiful source of crops, food, and jobs. Yet, even if they didn't want to leave their land for a better place they had to. The bank forced the farmers to leave their land if they could not pay for it. Without crops to earn a living with no farmer could afford to stay on his land. I definitely agree with the author's stance on this topic. I don't think that the Okies had any control over being forced off their land. They had no water, which ruined their land and eventually created the Dust Bowl. Also, history proves that the rich men forced the Okies off their land if they couldn't pay, so I can not disagree with that point. I thought the author portrayed his argument very well. It was a long essay, but it was a never ending flow of facts, so I never found it pointless or confusing. Also, the author provided many facts and evidence for his argument, which made understanding his view much easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment