Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Catcher In The Rye #2

Holden is a very insecure teen. His preference of words throughout the whole novel are curse words. I believe that is because he wants to come off as a tough guy, when in reality he isn’t. A few times in the story he mentions wanting to beat someone up, but knowing in his heart that he wouldn’t be able to because he states, “I’m not too tough” (page 46). Along with his choice of curse words he also is also very sarcastic and a huge liar. Whenever people bother him or if he is in a “mood” he gets sarcastic. In the beginning of the story Ackley comes into his room talking and asks how his book is. Holden replies, “This sentence I’m reading is terrific”. Then he goes on to tell the reader, “I can be quite sarcastic when I’m in the mood” (page 21). Even before he teaches the reader that he is sarcastic he brags to them about how good of a liar he is. On page sixteen he says, “I’m the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It’s awful. If I’m on my way to the store  to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I’m going, I’m liable to say I’m going to the opera. It’s terrible”. The fact that he lies so much goes to show how immature he is, but also how insecure. He can’t even give some innocent stranger on the street an honest answer about where he is going. Someone who is secure about themselves would be able to tell the truth no matter what. Another reason I find Holden insecure is his need to talk to Phoebe, his little kid sister. When life gets tough for him he sneaks back into his parent’s house in hopes of talking to Phoebe. If he was secure about himself he could either work it out himself or go home to talk to his parents, but not run into the arms of a child. Lastly, Holden is insecure because he isn’t comfortable about who he is. Instead of being a teenager he tries to pass himself off as an older man. He tries telling the hooker he’s older, along with the girls at the club, and any bartender he met in hopes of getting alcohol. Just by trying to be someone he’s not shows that he is insecure about himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment